Monday, April 19, 2010

Ketchup, Episode II - Because Episode I just didn't cut it

Hopefully, this will be sufficient to get all of these backed up tidbits out of my system, because I've got real things to talk about! I swear I do! In any case, I won't waste any time.

Consider this first one to be an invitation - I'm inviting you both into my mindset as I pull all of these videos together, and to join the loyal following of Mr. Richard Bona. It's nigh on impossible to not be head over heels for Richard Bona, if you ask me. His words may be in a different language (he sings in his native Douala), but the music speaks for itself. The passion in his music is beyond infectious - it's a feeling that resonates throughout your body and soul, because that's what they're supposed to do in response to great music. I think of it as the entire self acting as an eardrum; you sense the music with all of yourself. It's something that you know how to do, you just have to remember that you know how to. All you've got to do is let it happen.


A long time ago, I had hastily written Simon and Garfunkel off as "not my thing". Deep down, I started to reconsider that decision when I realized what a genius Paul Simon is (if you haven't heard Graceland, you owe it to yourself to make it happen). Fortunately, I gave it another real chance, and stumbled on some truly incredible songs. This one in particular speaks eloquently on a very deep level, and that alone should be enough to pay special attention to it. The incredible musicianship is just icing on a very tasty, substantial cake.


Speaking of incredible musicianship (and really, shouldn't we always be?), I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't mention Andres Segovia. And what better music to highlight his incredible genius than that of another God-among-men? Absolutely none. Bach and Segovia both consistently highlight the other's indescribable genius, and the following is certainly no exception.


This video has become one of my favorites of all time, for a number of reasons. First of all, and most obviously, it showcases the talent of some incredible musicians. It was originally written by Stevie Wonder and recorded by Jeff Beck (guitarist) for 1975s "Blow by Blow" (perhaps the most aptly titled album of the '70s). And while the original is good, there are still more reasons that I like this video. Beyond just being a great piece, this particular video serves to prove that it really is possible to perform a song better than the original performance. This fact seems to ruffle the feathers of some purists out there, but you would be hard pressed to make an argument that the original is better in any significant way than the live performance. Lastly, to my ear at least, it goes beyond a simply "great" performance of a good song, and marches balls-first into the seldom-trodden territory of "truly magical moments of performance caught on tape to be enjoyed forever". Repeated listening might be necessary to really understand why, but I think it's in the subtlety of Jeff's playing. The more you listen to Jeff Beck, the more you come to understand that nuance is his specialty. He's keenly aware of music as a language, and he doesn't hesitate to say what he's thinking. This particular performance just comes together with a passion and solidarity rarely found in recordings or live performances.


Maybe I'm just picky, but it's hard for me to find renditions of old songs that I find adequate, much less satisfying. It seems to me that the more widely performed a song is, the harder it becomes to find a single version that can be described as anywhere in the proximity of "good". That said, it makes it that much more special when I do find a really good performance of a song that I like. Case and point: Hayley Westenra singing "Danny Boy". Boy, did I have this song all wrong. Never again will I doubt the ability of a truly gifted singer to breathe life into an otherwise badly done, overdone song. This version is about as close to perfect as it's ever bound to get.


On the subject of singers, I feel compelled to include this next one. Partially, I want to remember the life and genius of Pink Floyd's Richard Wright, but I also just consider this to be another one of those hard to find vocal performances. You know, the ones that leave the false security of the little pillow and sheet fortress of cliche? The ones that are able to find their own way outside with those little senses...what were they again...oh, right - originality and conviction. With the latest wave of the generic singer-songwriter virus, this time infecting young women with pianos and the desire to be "different" while not being "that different," the female vocalist is in a pretty deep ditch these days. But it's worthwhile to point out that the virus is vulnerable to genuine creativity and balls. These ladies have both.


But (there's always a but) while we in the west are worshipping our false talents, our precious Jonas Brothers, etc., there are people in other corners of the world who have been using their energy to uncover the untold potential that we have as human beings. In the Russian republic of Tuva (Tyva), there's a tradition of singers who can simultaneously sing four different notes, and do so by circular breathing. To put it simply, they can sing four different lines, at the same time, for as long as they want. Still clinging to that precious little idea that our pop idols have any significant talent? Watch and reconsider. If this doesn't make you reassess your ideas on human potential, I can't imagine what would.


Well, I think I've stretched this out long enough. Since I'm bad at goodbyes, I've decided to let Richard Bona say it for me, since this song better expresses the "so long, farewell" feeling than I likely could with any semblance of brevity. This may become a theme. Stay tuned for a new (real) post sometime this week. It'll be interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, I'm the first to comment; I've stolen this blog's comment virginity! Suck it, other viewers!

    So, I am going through these videos one by one and thus far, I quite like them.

    Richard Bona's Eyala; wow. I don't really know how to explain it other than gorgeous... like, truly amazing.

    Simon and Garfunkel I think are always such a joy, and this song was no different for me :) I hadn't heard it before, so I'm happy to expand my musical horizons.

    I remember you showed me the Jeff Beck & Tal Wilkenfeld video before, and I think it's pretty good, but I have yet to hear the original to compare it to. So... yeah :) (I wonder when "yeah" started to become an acceptable ending to a sentence...)

    I am currently listening to Andrés Segovia plays Bach. I do quite enjoy it, but I don't know if to the same extent as you do. To me it is simple and pretty, but I don't know if it is totally amazing beyond all reason. But nothing wrong with it, that's for sure.

    So Hayley Westenra - Danny Boy... sweet God, this woman's voice is beautiful. Oh, I'm getting goose bumps listening to it... wow. I don't know if you have ever given them a chance, but I think you could appreciate the voices of Celtic Women. They can be a bit... fairy-princesses-frolicking-down-the-enchanted-forest, but they do have a gorgeous sound.

    I remember when you first introduced Pink Floyd to me... I thought they were so very strange. I still do, but they do have a good--if strange--sound. And like you said, those women are powerhouses :)

    Ahh... good old throat singing :) So cool! A unique, odd, hauntingly amazing sound... awesome!

    And Richard Bona (again); I never really gave him much of a chance, but wow, he really has a gift. I'd love to know the translations.

    So, thanks for starting the blog, exposing us all to new (and some old) music. I'm telling you, you would make a killer radio DJ :)

    ReplyDelete